Police ramped up security around Low Yat Plaza today following rumours that certain groups were planning to create a ruckus in the area, following last Sunday's brawl.

Dang Wangi police chief Assistant Commissioner Zainol Samah said the news had been circulating that these groups were out to create unrest in the area and that had forced police to step up security.

‎Police presence at the plaza was heavy since this afternoon, with officers patrolling the area and putting up roadblocks at the roads leading to the mall.

The rumours are believed to be started by supporters of blogger Papagomo who was arrested several days ago for posting false information about a theft at one of the shops in Low Yat Plaza.

It called on supporters of Pekida and Perkasa to gather at Low Yat with weapons in order to voice their displeasure towards the inspector-general of police for apparently siding with the Chinese.

"There is nothing so far. We have beefed up security here because of the rumours," Zainol said.

There was also a Light Strike Force truck stationed about 50m from the mall.

The heightened police presence at Low Yat Plaza in the city centre comes after last weekend's brawl which was allegedly caused by the dissatisfaction of a youth who was accused of stealing a mobile phone from a shop there.

Papagomo, whose real name is Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris, was identified as one of those who helped spread messages resulting in a crowd protesting in front of the plaza on Sunday night.

He allegedly uttered five sentences that triggered a racial riot in front of the plaza at about 8.30pm last Sunday.

The gathering turned violent and five people, including journalists, were injured.

Following the incident, police arrested scores of people, including Papagomo, Bagan Umno division chief Datuk Shaikh Hussein and Mohd Ali Baharom, also know as Ali Tinju.

Many of the shops at the lower level at Low Yat Plaza were closed following the incident, but today, business was as usual despite the rumours.

A car jockey‎ at Low Yat told The Malaysian Insider that security around the mall had been tight since the incident but added that there were more police personnel today. – July 18, 2015.


Post a Comment

Author Name


Contact Form


Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.